Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hunter College Project Space

While I was away in Denmark this summer I got an invitation from my friend and fellow artist/educator Gail Heidel (http://www.gailheidel.com) to come over to Hunter College in New York and work on an installation in a small project space they have over there. I agreed because I like Gail a lot, I like New York a lot, and I like little rooms that people let me destroy/transform/mutate...
I spent five days working in the space. No ceramic, though I did use some unfired clay as a sort of central node for this entire structure. My primary materials were vinyl, thread and tacks, a vocabulary I developed during my time in Denmark. I also brought in some electronic sound elements, these sort of light-responsive little gadgets that spat out a low-pitched hum until you got close, then they squealed. I hadn't seen the space before, and it was much more rough than I thought it would be, but that is just fine with me. I am finding more and more that this new work is a response to the space, which is something I haven't really grappled with before. I like to have a plan I guess.
My main concern was engaging with the wall spaces and then connecting them with a density of this fine thread, something you could walk into and be part of. I was fortunate to have a friend from my college days around, a talented young photographer named Laura Dante (http://www.lauradante.com/), and she kindly took the great shots of the space you can find below.
I initially titled the project "elastic structure", but then I kept a running list of potential titles. The one that sticks out the most for me is "the map is the machine and it has no key". Let's go with that.
I am swooping in on a full website update, so look for more images there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers