Monday, May 31, 2010

work, and the place where it happens.

This week is my last in the museum studio, so I am focusing on bringing a number of these smaller projects together. Someone asked me the other day if this was something I had done before, and the answer is definitely no. I am rarely offered the opportunity to do whatever I want, so I decided to try out some experiments during my time here.



Here is the space itself. I have spent the last two days cutting shapes out of the colored vinyl I brought along. On the floor you can see a bunch of clouds, both digital and analog, plus some cloud outlines. The bundles are simply strips of color, and the little trays are full of different sized dots.



















I spent the majority of three days working on one panel. The progress is below, in this order. I don't have images from the start, but at some point I became pretty discouraged with it and started to destroy it. This turned into an interesting exercise by itself. Later I went back and started over with the thread, using what I learned the first time through as a guide. The last shot is as it currently exists. This process of deconstruction and reconstruction is a classic studio problem. It is a good way to reevaluate what I have been doing, especially when I have no one else to sound ideas off of .























I have shots of some recent trips, including a great day on the island of Mors fossil hunting. I will update with that soon.
-me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers