Monday, June 14, 2010

is it destruction that you require to feel?



I make a lot of art that doesn't last. People ask me why, and I am not always sure how to answer that question. I don't get paid to make art very often, and that is ok with me; I have a job that keeps me happy and pays the bills. I think this gives me a bit of freedom to explore, to make art with a different set of goals in mind. I suppose some might call it "academic", which is either good or bad depending on which side of the fence you are on. It might also be frivolous and wasteful. I really don't know. Sometimes this question keeps me awake at night, and sometimes it drives me on and on in the studio. How can something have value if it isn't worth anything?

I used the time in the museum to experiment, to try some new things and see where they took me. The project got big fast, and I took a lot away from the experience. The best part about making art that doesn't last is the catharsis that comes with destroying it, and in fact this process can be as revealing as the making itself. I achieved some semblance of beauty in the forced and static structure I created, but an undeniable and powerful beauty revealed itself in the chaos of that structure as it unraveled.

I enjoy learning new things.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers